Monday, April 20, 2009

Watch out, Washington!

Both Kyle and I agree that this last trip was one of our best EVER! We drove to Washington, DC with Kohen, Binyam, and Amanuel. Binyam is Amanuel's best friend from Ethiopia who is also here for the same exchange program. There is nothing better and more exciting that seeing two teenage boys amazed by American history. I barely looked at any of the sites or listened to the videos we watched on the tours because I was too busy watching the boys listen to the guides. The hotel was PERFECT, the tours were wonderful, and we all had an amazing time. Amanuel met a man named Jon, after an incident with a large, spicy burrito, and he smashed his nose in the bottom of the pool (he's a rookie swimmer!), and both boys told us all about Professor Assrat (inside joke).

One of the only family pictures we took-go figure!
Binyam and me with my gigantic sunglasses!
One very tired Amanuel laying on the lawn of the White House, I think.


Kyle and Amanuel on the lawn of the White House



My tall, handsome son


Amanuel listening to the soldiers at Arlington Cemetary. Do you think he listens this intently at school? I bet not :) These two boys were exhausted after walking around DC for nearly 13 hours straight. In the words of Amanuel, "we are POOPED!"





Kohen chillin' with his new best friend, Biny.







Kohen crawling down the wall of the Capitol.








Kohen swimming/hanging on for life with his dad.
















Do you think Kohen enjoyed himself? Do you think he LOVES Binyam?










Kohen decided to be adventurous and crawled up the steps to the Tomb of the Unknowns. There is no way to control this kid!












They were just about to have the "changing of the guards" ceremony, and we turned around only to find Kohen crawling directly for the "ceremony." There was a sign that basically said they wanted complete SILENCE to show respect for the amazing people who had given their lives for us. We tried explaining that the Kohen, BUT he chose to show his "respect and reverence" differently.







Just adorable. These two boys are the most amazing young men I know.













1 comment:

Eric and Leslie Warford said...

When Kohen runs for President, he'll have to use the picture of him on the steps in his campaign!!

I am THRILLED (and a little jealous) that you guys went and had such a fun time!