Monday, March 15, 2010

Brown Sugar Pie

I LOVE to cook (not bake!), and I read cookbooks like novels. I have been waking up at 4am (my sweet baby boy has been kicking me so hard that I can't go back to sleep!), and I have finished reading this awesome cookbook during my peaceful 4am breaks! I checked this cookbook out at the library, but I think I'll buy it now! The author wrote about this pie called "Brown Sugar Pie." She even wrote that it was THIS pie that made her become a food enthusiast! The author is from North Carolina, and the cook in her school cafeteria would make Brown Sugar pie for the students. I HAD to make it for Kyle's parents, who are coming to town on Wednesday!!! I made the pie ahead because IF I were to feed Kyle's dad a pie that wasn't scrumptious, I would hear about it for the rest of my life! :) Food is very important to the two of us, and I can't let him down! So, I made it last night to taste test before I give him his pie. We took one bite, and you should have seen our faces! It is AMAZING! If I can bake it, it has to be easy. I am not kidding...this pie is well-worth the calories and the heartburn that I got from it throughout the night! Just eat a small piece. It is very sweet :)

Here's a link to the cookbook: A Love Affair with Southern Cooking, by Jean Anderson
http://www.harpercollins.com/books/9780060761783/A_Love_Affair_with_Southern_Cooking/index.aspx

Here's the most wonderful pie recipe:

1 pound of light brown sugar
4 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup or 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted and slightly browned in a skillet or pot
1 9" deep dish pie crust, thaw out before baking

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Blend the brown sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla, and salt until smooth, then add the melted butter in a slow stream, beating all the while
3. Pour the filling into the pie shell, slide the pie on a baking sheet, and bake on the middle rack for 50-60 minutes (I baked mine for 55 minutes)
4. Pie should be puffed and golden brown. It will jiggle a bit, but it firms up when it cools.
5 .Transfer the pie to a wire rack to cool to room temp. before cutting. The filling will fall slightly. Serve with whipped cream, but I would eat slightly warm with NOTHING on top! It is so good!

Hope you enjoy!

No comments: