Thursday, September 1, 2011

Protein Bars

I just have to share this recipe, mostly because my children LOVE these bars.  We call them, "Jo Jo's Bars" because my sister-in-law gave us the recipe, but they are really just peanut butter protein bars.  They are, by far, the best protein bar I've ever eaten. If you know my husband, we've tried about every protein bar out there and I think they are gross! I crave these bars, and we go through at least one, sometimes two pans a week.  

Now, I never follow a recipe, which is why I don't bake, so I've made some changes to this recipe.  I only use one cup of honey, and I usually use whatever nut we have on hand, and I use almond butter instead of the peanut butter or I do half peanut butter and half almond butter.  We buy our protein powder online, but I HIGHLY recommend the EAS brand that is sold at Sam's club.  It is inexpensive and really good.  However, we use the "all natural" route when we know we are going to feed these to the boys.

Jo Jo Bars
2 1/2 cups peanut butter
2 cups honey (or one if you follow my recipe) 
2 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder
3 cups uncooked oatmeal
1/2 cup chopped almonds

Heat the peanut butter and honey for about 2 minutes. Mix the dry ingredients then add to the wet mixture. I misPress into a 9x13 and refrigerate or freeze. When hardened cut into 12 or 16 pieces (I do 12) and wrap individually. I keep them in the fridge and grab and go as needed.  I just made this batch, and I put mine in the freezer for a bit to harden up before we cut and divide them up.  The frosty pan looks pretty cool though :)  

Nutitional facts (not sure is this is based on 12 or 16 pieces)

200 calories
9g fat
3-4g fiber
15g protein
26g carbs

No comments: