I received an email today from Binyam, Amanuel's best friend. He told me that life was VERY difficult right now in Ethiopia. They have limited electricity, and in his family of seven, they all shared one bed, ate dinner by candlelight, and he said that no one could even afford a slice of bread. The economy there is way worse than here. My heart aches for him and for all the kids who returned from living posh lives here in the US. Can you imagine living here with all of our freedoms and modern conveniences only to return to the worst case of poverty in a third world country? I can't. I've been sitting in my beautiful house, watching my flat screen tv, dreaming about my future home. Should we build or buy? Should we have 4 or 5 bedrooms? Do I need a bigger car, and should we get one with a tv built in? Are you kidding me? I feel disgusting and ashamed that I would even worry about such stupid THINGS, when children I dearly love don't even have basic necessities. I'm through ranting, but seriously, I'm able to put THINGS into perspective today.
Ayele and Binyam
1 comment:
So glad to hear that Amanuel can stay in the US. Wonderful!
Sad to hear about the conditions the kids face back home. Puts things in perspective for sure!!!
Post a Comment