I had to steal this from my husband's facebook account. He rarely posts anything on facebook, but he is passionate about a few things...his faith in God, his love for his family, and his passion for helping those with mental illness. I read this post from him, and I had to share it. I don't normally do this because this blog is for my children. I thought about whether or not to share this, but this post is specifically for my baby boys. Some day, this crazy and cruel world will overwhelm them, and I want them to know there is always someone in this house who will support them!
For my Mommy friends who are battling and have battled depression, especially after having a baby, please get help. Please don't wait until you are ready to give up completely. There are people, like my sweet husband, who can help you, who have devoted YEARS to learning about the best ways to help us. Do it for yourself. Do it for your family.
Stolen straight from the mouth of Kyle E. Johnson, MD (which Kohen says stands for My Daddy!):
I read a posting by jaysondbradley.com. He wrote about 3 phrases Christians should not use. One phrase not to use was, "God won't give you more than you can handle."
This phrase always strikes a nerve with me.
I couldn't agree with this more. As an inpatient psychiatrist, almost everyone I see has MORE than they can handle. often times, this leads to drug use or self injury or suicidal thoughts. It can even lead people to take their own lives from feeling so overwhelmed and hopeless that the overwhelmed feeling will never end. One of the main benefits of the hospital is as a break to get away from your troubles, be around supportive individuals, and gain a different perspective. Time also passes as does the overwhelming feeling. These people need support in order to get through these times. We will all have them. Hopefully not to the point of feeling so overwhelmed some of the above behaviors become possible. We also all know people going through struggles. I hope to be aware and able to provide this support to those around me when they need it. As a Christian, I think God gives everyone more than they can handle. This allows us to realize we can't make it on our own. It shows us our need for God. I believe during these times, God can carry us through if we allow him. Often we fight the battle on our own and forget the creator of the universe is on our side wanting to carry us through.
http://jaysondbradley.com
Tuesday, August 13, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment